HAPPY BIRTHDAY PT USHA: Born right into a poor household to EVM Paithal and TV Lakshmi on June 27 in 1964, in Kerala, Pilavullakandi Thekkeparambil Usha rose to turned a legendary determine in Indian sports activities historical past. She earned the sobriquet ‘Payyoli Specific’ and ‘Queen of Indian Observe And Discipline’ for her stellar file on the worldwide stage.
Broadly considered one of many biggest Indian athletes, she hogged the limelight all through the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Usha was captivated with sprinting since her childhood however poverty and ill-health practically shattered her goals. However, like each darkish tunnel has a ray of sunshine on the finish, Usha’s future took a flip for the higher when she acquired a scholarship of Rs. 250 from the Kerala authorities which then had simply arrange a ladies’s sports activities division.
True to her humble spirit, Usha owes her success to her private coach, Om Nambiar, who has been instrumental in her stupendous rise as a girl athlete at the moment.
On her 58th birthday in the present day, listed below are some attention-grabbing details about her and her stellar achievements in sports activities:
- Usha hails from a small village of Payyoli lady however the sky was the restrict to what athletes of her ilk might do. Regardless of her ill-health throughout her childhood, she would take part at school Grade stage operating competitors. As a fourth grader, she defeated her college champion who was senior to her in operating and completed first.
- She ran for Nationwide Pakistan Video games at Karachi in 1980 the place she received the 100m and 200m races.
- Om Nambiar, who noticed her abilities, remained her private coach for the remainder of her athletic profession.
- She was the primary and the youngest Indian lady to compete on the 1980 Moscow Olympics.
- She bagged a gold medal in 400m on the 1981 Asian Observe and Discipline Championship in Kuwait.
- On the 1982 Asian Video games held in New Delhi, Usha clinched silvers in 100m and 200m.
- She was the primary Indian lady sprinter to succeed in the ultimate of an Olympic monitor occasion.
- On the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, Usha achieved a fourth-place in 400m race however misplaced the bronze medal by one-hundredth of a second.
- She bagged the Adidas Golden Shoe award for finest athlete at 1986 Seoul Olympics. She additionally earned 5 gold medals on the 1985 Asian Championships, probably the most for any lady athlete in a single occasion.
- She is a recipient of the celebrated Arjuna and Padma Shri awards for her contribution and achievement within the area of sports activities.