HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRAKASH PADUKONE: One of many brightest former badminton personalities to have earned quite a few laurels for India, is Prakash Padukone. The legendary participant was born on June 10, 1955 in Karnataka. He reigned the badminton sports activities state of affairs for over a decade (1971-1988). Placing India on the worldwide map, he introduced residence many worldwide recognition. He is chargeable for getting India to imagine that badminton could possibly be a profession alternative in the back of some main achievements on this planet circuit.
As the previous badminton champion turns a yr older right now, listed below are some fascinating details about Padukone on this birthday:
- The badminton starwon the nationwide senior championship (1971) when he was solely 16. This made him the youngest participant to have completed such a feat.
- He’s identified for his miraculous, successive wins in nationwide championships till 1979. He set a document of successful 9 nationwide titles in a row.
- Padukone gained 15 worldwide titles between the years 1980 and 1985.
- He defeated his idol Rudy Hartono in Swedish Open.
- He had gained each the boy’s and males’s singles match in 1971.
- He was the primary Indian to win the All England Open Badminton Championships (1980) which is the world’s most prestigious annual badminton competitors. He was ranked World No.1 in consequence. As soon as once more he was the primary Indian to be honoured with such a title.
- He was the winner of the primary Alba World Cup in October 1981, held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- He’s the recipient of Arjuna Award (1972), and Padma Shri (1982).
- After his retirement in 1989, Padukone co-founded the Olympic Gold Quest with Indian Billiards and snooker participant Geet Sethi to facilitate Olympic sports activities in India.
- With fellow nationwide stalwarts Vimal Kumar, Vivek Kumar (1994), Padukone opened Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy (October 1) in Bangalore. The academy has produced nationwide champions reminiscent of Puella Gopichand and Aparna Popat.
- Padukone additionally gained the primary Indian open prize-money match, the Indian Masters (India Open) in November 1981.
- The 1978 Commonwealth Video games held in Edmonton, Canada fetched him his first main worldwide title, the boys’s singles gold medal. He bagged the ‘Night of Champions’ on the Royal Albert Corridor, London, the subsequent yr, 1979.
- Padukone’s father Ramesh Padukone who was the Secretary of the ‘Mysore Badminton Affiliation’ launched him to the sport.